Last summer, we announced the “birth” of NACPM Chapters! Form an NACPM Chapter in your state or region to highlight your local needs, lend your voice to the direction of your national professional association, and build credibility for your local initiatives. And take advantage of a special one-time membership rates for new members of local chapters!
For some time now, CPMs in the states have been asking NACPM for a way to address their local needs specific to CPMs, and NACPM has been looking for a way to more directly engage CPMs in their professional organization. NACPM Chapters will accomplish both of these goals.
How to Get Started
Please read the attached Policy on NACPM Chapters, discuss this opportunity with other CPMs in your state or area, and send an email to Gretchen Spicer, NACPM Chapter Liaison, with your request to form a Chapter or with questions. Once we receive your request, we will send you a welcome letter and an NACPM Chapter information packet to get you started.
Special Chapter Membership Rate
We are offering a special NACPM membership rate of $50 for one year to any new chapter member. While we hope that as many as possible will sign up at the regular membership rates, or add a donation to the membership fee, in order to better support the work of NACPM, we want to make NACPM Chapter membership as accessible as possible.
NACPM Chapter Policy
To provide a vehicle to address the local needs of Certified Professional Midwives in the states and communities where they live and work, and to provide a ready mechanism for CPMs on the local level to directly communicate with the NACPM Board of Directors. Local NACPM chapters will be self-organizing and will conduct their activities and functions in alignment with the NACPM Mission and Purpose and the NACPM Essential Documents.
NACPM Chapters may be:
- State midwifery associations
- Sub-sections of state midwifery associations
- Any geographical grouping of NACPM members who wish to form a chapter, which may include more than one state
BENEFITS OF NACPM CHAPTERS
- Credibility for state level work derived from association with the national professional organization
- Direct liaison relationship with the NACPM Board of Directors
- Bi-annual conference calls of the Chairs of the NACPM chapters, or their designee, with the NACPM Board of Directors
- Chapter Chairs have any-time access to Board members to discuss Chapter issues
Opportunity for NACPM Chapter Chairs to regularly discuss issues with each other
Publication of the NACPM Chapter Reports in the NACPM Annual Report, to be sent to all NACPM members
- Chapters may choose to meet at the MANA annual conference, before or after the NACPM Annual Meeting.
- All chapter members must be Certified Professional Midwives who are NACPM members
Each chapter must endorse the Mission, Purpose and Essential Documents of NACPM
- Each chapter must abide by the NACPM Policy Regarding Use of NACPM Name
- Each chapter shall appoint a Chairperson, who will also serve as the chapter liaison with the NACPM Board of Directors
- Chapters shall send NACPM a report at least annually, summarizing activities, needs and concerns of the chapter
- Chapters shall be prohibited from any activities or actions that cause NACPM to be legally or financially bound to agreements or other relationships without the NACPM Board’s approval
- Chapters may not represent positions or viewpoints, other than those already contained within the NACPM Mission and Purpose, NACPM Essential Documents or other NACPM written policies or work products, as being those of NACPM without express written agreement of the NACPM board.