Campaign Mission Statement
The mission of the M.A.M.A. Campaign is to increase women’s access to midwives and to quality, affordable maternity care consistent with the Midwives Model of Care© by securing federal recognition of Certified Professional Midwives.
- Equal access to care: Efforts to improve US health care should ensure affordable healthcare for all women and infants, remove barriers to high quality care, eliminate disparities in health outcomes, and significantly improve maternal and infant health.
- Comprehensive care: Health care benefits should include comprehensive, evidence-based maternity care that focuses on normal physiologic birth with appropriate use of technology, and provides choices that meet the needs of all women and infants.
- Women’s right to access a full range of services: Women should have control over the circumstances of their births, such as the right to choose place of birth, including out-of-hospital and freestanding birth centers, maternity care provider and adequate preparation for making informed decisions.
- Midwives as a cornerstone of maternity care: Women and infants should have access to all midwives, who are integrated into health care systems that provide for appropriate consultation, collaboration, and referral services.
- Nationally credentialed midwives: Primary maternity care providers should include all nationally credentialed midwives, namely, Certified Professional Midwives (CPM), Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) and Certified Midwives (CM).
- Maternity benefit plans: Comprehensive maternity care services, including services provided by nationally credentialed midwives, should be reimbursed by all benefit plans, both public and private.