H.R. 1976 Introduced!
In a timely salute to Mother’s Day and the International Day of the Midwife, Congresswoman Chellie Pingree of Maine has re-introduced the Access to Certified Professional Midwives Act, H.R. 1976 (formerly H.R. 1054), on May 12, 2013 in the House of Representatives in the 113th Congress.
The Midwives and Mother’s in Action (MAMA) Campaign is excited to be back in business on the Hill this year for mothers, babies and midwives across the country.
Congresswoman Pingreee (D-ME)
We honor and are deeply grateful to Congresswoman Pingree for once again being a champion for women, babies and midwives across the country. “I believe it’s important that women are able to have the birth experience they want, regardless of where they live and how much money they make. That is why it’s important that women with Medicaid coverage have the same access to high quality, safe, and cost-effective services,” Congresswoman Pingree said. The Congresswoman is known in Maine and Washington, DC as a sensitive, independent voice for social and health issues that affect families everywhere.
The MAMA Campaign is also deeply appreciative to the 7 original co-sponsors this year for H.R. 1976: Michael Michaud (ME), Keith Ellison (MN), Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA), Raul Grijalva (AZ), Eleanor Holmes-Norton (DC), and William Keating (MA), as well as to Jim Moran (PA) who also signed on to the bill this past week.
Why is H.R. 1976 Important?
Passage of H.R. 1976 will increase access to quality maternity care for all women, including care by Certified Professional Midwives, and especially for women who suffer most from the indefensible disparities in birth outcomes in the U.S. Passage will support the valiant efforts of state advocates who are working so hard to achieve licensing for CPMs in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and Guam. Success of this bill in Congress will also begin to open doors to increased federal support for CPM education and access to federal loan repayment programs for student loans.
Back at Work on the Hill
Building on the significant support gained in the 112th Congress, the Midwives and Mothers in Action (MAMA) Campaign is back at work to advance this important priority legislation through the Congress. And we need your help!
Easy Ways You Can Help!
We need you – YOU are the MAMA Campaign!
- Bring your Congress member on board as a co-sponsor of H.R. 1976– we can make it easy for you! Just let us know that you would like to help and we will be in touch right away to partner with you and guide you through the process. Every single Congressional office that has become a co-sponsor of this Act began with outreach from a constituent just like you. Write to Mary Lawlor at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get to work together. We look forward to working with you to build support for H.R. 1976.
- Become a recurring donor – an easy way to make a big difference! Your recurring donations support the entire infrastructure of the Campaign. Even small recurring donations are of significant help.
- Just $10 a month = a yearly contribution of $120.
- $15 a month = a yearly contribution of $180.
- $25 a month = $300 a year to support advocacy for women and babies.
Go today to www.mamacampaign.org and sign up to be a recurring donor! Encourage your friends, colleagues, clients and family to do the same. Together we can make the difference!
We look forward to hearing from you and to working with you on this initiative that will make a real difference in the lives of women, babies and midwives across our country. Thank you for your support!